One huge component of a Montessori style bedroom is the “Floor Bed.” This goes along with the educational aspect of Montessori education by guiding the child rather than teaching them because by having that sense of freedom you are instinctually teaching them their own bodily sleep cues.
The idea is turning your toddler’s bedroom into a space where they able to reach everything on their own, fostering their imagination, self-confidence, and independence. In the words of Maria Montessori herself:
“We must give the child an environment that he can utilize by himself: a little washstand of his own, a bureau with drawers he can open, objects of common use that he can operate, a small bed in which he can sleep at night under an attractive blanket he can fold and spread by himself. We must give him an environment in which he can live and play; then we will see him work all day with his hands and wait impatiently to undress himself and lay himself down on his own bed.”
With the Montessori bed, children are not confined to a crib. They are free to move and to get in and out of bed on their own. With freedom of movement, children are much more active when using a floor bed and slither around then crawl around much more, as their whole room is baby proofed. This is of particular benefit particularly when children are often confined in a crib, to a high chair or later on a baby car seat or stroller, although some of these are necessary measures; children need every opportunity possible for freedom of movement. The Montessori bed also promotes independence. Children are free to get up and read a book, or get dressed as they do not need parent’s permission or help to do so. Over time and especially with an older toddler they can decide themselves when they are tired and lie down; often able to put themselves to bed and go lie down when they require rest. The Montessori bed teaches autonomy of one’s self, in a safe and secure surrounding.
- GROWS WITH YOUR CHILD. OUR FLOOR BED IS FLIPPABLE TO EASE THE TRANSITION TO A BIGGER BED.
- EASILY STORE FOR THE NEXT CHILD, PACK FLAT TO MOVE, OR SHIP TO A NEW HOME AFTER RE-SELLING.
- LONG LIFE. SUPERIOR MATERIALS AND FLIPPABLE DESIGN MEANS IT CAN BE USED FOR YEARS.
- TENSION-LOCK TOOL-LESS ASSEMBLY
- ACCESSIBLE TO INFANTS AND YOUNG CHILDREN AND SIZED TO ACCOMMODATE PARENTS.
- FINISHED SMOOTH WITH NO-VOC, UV CURED FINISH THAT’S SAFE FOR CHILDREN AND FOR THE ENVIRONMENT.
- MADE FROM DURABLE, BEAUTIFUL BALTIC BIRCH FOR CONSISTENT HIGH QUALITY AND SAFETY.
- AMERICAN DESIGN & MANUFACTURE
- TESTED FOR SAFETY.
- LESS THAN 15-MINUTE ASSEMBLY
- 250 POUND WEIGHT CAPACITY MAKES THE BED STRONG ENOUGH FOR BOTH PARENT AND BABY.
- TWIN FRAME
OVERALL: 77"L X 40"W X 12"H
MATTRESS: 75"L X 38"W.